Sunday, December 16, 2007

Mondrian Memories

One of the most memorable clothing exhibits I saw the Yves Saint Laurent retrospective at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1983. I clearly remember seeing the "Mondrian" day dress of 1965 there.




I am sure that there was a Vogue sewing pattern with a similar design. Here are two "copy cat" versions of that pattern from 1965-66.


McCall's 8131

circa 1965: High waisted dress w/ bateau neckline



Simplicity 6400

circa 1966: - slim dress with jewel neckline





There are dresses like that out there today - look at:




Diane von Furstenberg 'Mondrian' Shift Dress - at Nordstroms
Do you want to make the pattern into your own fashion?

If you are looking for these patterns for sale try www.ebay.com  or  the vintage pattern wiki

2 comments:

Nina - Not A Llama, but rather The Empress! said...

You've been tagged!

Susan said...

I had a dress just like that! Loved loved loved it. I worked well for my straight-as-a-string body shape. Wish I still had it..umm both dress and shape! p.s. I'm a friend of Devorah's