Sunday, May 06, 2007

Tag You're It!

Retro Romance tagged me.

The Rules:

--List seven random facts/habits about yourself
--Choose another seven bloggers to tag and list their names in your blog
--Leave your seven tagged bloggers comments to notify them of their tagging and to direct them to your blog for tag instructions.

Since this is a sewing pattern blog - I thought I'd show you a Vogue sewing pattern "tag". This one goes with a Jo Mattli 1960s pattern.



1. I went to UMass Amherst. I have a undergraduate degree in Biology and Masters in Education. We lived in the happy valley for 13 years.


2. I have done historical fashion research for Past Patterns. The owner, Saundra Altman, hired me to help her find information on the history of the hoop skirt. That was my beginning of my historical clothing research. That research project took me to the Patent Office in Washington, DC.


3. I have played townball. Here is a picture of me when I played with the Commonwealth Comets. We looked better then we played. I am on the far left.



4. I like to do vintage dancing and contra dancing with my family. Below I'm dancing at the Astor's Beechwood with my friend Stephen K. He likes to wear uniforms. This is one of the reasons I want my OWN uniform for the dance week.


5. I have two kids. A son who is 6 and a daughter who is 10.








6. I taught science in public schools for 4 years.

7. I have a large collection of Oz books. It is very likely that I fell in love with 19teens fashions because of the drawings of John R. Neill.




I tag: Sharon B, Material Mama, Craft Leftovers, Adorn Magazine, Dress a Day, Grandma's Sewing Cabinet and Lazy Girl Designs

2 comments:

Retro Attic said...

Oooh, I love the Oz books but I haven't read very many. The Wizard of Oz was one of my favorites. I was so excited and surprised to find out there are many more!

Rita Harris said...

Greetings from Seattle in the lush and green Northwest!

Tripped across this site searching for a blog about historical costuming. Small world that this lovely lady has had input in pattern designs.

I happen to be the Events Coordinator and Webmistress for Somewhere In Time, Unlimited which is a historical costume group based in Seattle, WA.

Were you to go to our site: www.SITUSeattle.com and click on "Past Events", you could click on a number of the tabs and see us in all sorts of attire. The photos posted are only from events in which I have participated myself, so generally, I am not in many of the photos being that I'm the photog! The exception is that I am in the burnt orange shawl with a fancy hat under the tab "Pike Place Market".

For those who are interested in history/old mansions/historical dress, go to the "Dress Up Opportunities" on the site. In the second row, look for the paddle-wheeler cruise from New Orleans to Vicksburg. As a past passenger, I was able to invite and book passage for "Friends and Family" at a discount. So, if you are interested in costuming, mansions and coming along with folks from Seattle who are, consider hooking up with us! Drop me an email and I prolly can send you more info.

Love to hear back from fellow pattern and fellow costuming buffs. I am hoping to start a short blog myself. Prolly call it SITUSeattle@wordpress, but email me in the meantime!

Smiles across the miles - Rita